Monday, November 3, 2014

Brandy


11/3/2014

Soon after I arrived in Johannesburg, South Africa, I was visited by Ingrid - a lovely woman that I have been in phone and email contact with for many years. You may remember the blog I did about Wang, the polar bear at the Johannesburg zoo who was deeply depressed after his companion died. This information came from Ingrid and I was glad to know about this special soul and to be able to send him love and healing support. (Wang is now in spirit with his beloved friend.)

This time Ingrid came to me with the story of Brandy, a pregnant leopard who had been caught in a snare. She was wounded very badly and being cared for at the zoo. Ingrid wanted her to know that the people were trying to help her, so I agreed to talk with her.

Brandy was quite frightened by her new surroundings and all this human contact, but I reassured her that they were doing their best to help her and that she would be released as soon as possible. She had undergone two surgeries to close up the gaping wound around her abdomen. Brandy was sore but told me that her cubs were still alive inside her and that her traumatic injuries had not yet killed them.

Throughout my safari time in Africa, I sent love and healing energy to Brandy. I held the vision that she would be fine and that her cubs would live to enjoy life in the bush.

While I stood in line to check my bag as we were leaving Africa, Ingrid appeared at my elbow. What a wonderful surprise!  She had come out to the airport to tell me that Brandy had been returned to the wild with a satellite collar on so that her movements could be monitored. What joyful news!
Brandy with her collar - note the big scar!

Brandy had been released into a new area because her previous territory was full of snares that would once again endanger this magnificent cat’s life. I’m sure this was very confusing for her, so a few days ago, I checked in with Brandy to see how she was doing. She felt good and was settling into this new territory. She had also killed a warthog and when we spoke she was tired and her belly was full. It felt like she had found a safe den for her to deliver her precious babies.

I love working with domestic animals and getting to know all my wonderful clients, but I am so honored when I can be of service to wild animals. And I am so grateful that there are caring people in the world like Ingrid, who go to great lengths to find help for our fellow creatures.

Say a little prayer for Brandy, that her delivery is easy and that her three cubs all survive. If I get any news about her from Africa, I will be sure to pass it along.