Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Granny


November 13, 2013
  
Granny, also known as J2
I have known my wild orca friend, Granny, for more than two decades now. She was a co-author of my Nautilus Award winning book, Communicating with Orcas; The Whales’ Perspective. I am very happy to say that Granny was 102 years old this year and is still swimming strong, leading J-pod.

This past week, a ferry carrying Native American artifacts that were being returned to a tribe, was surrounded by orcas.  Here is a link to the story-

Many people felt that this was not a coincidence and that the whales were there for a reason. I decided to check in with Granny and here’s what she said: “Of course we knew about the artifacts. The tribe told us and we came to honor them. We have a long history together.”

I explained that many people noticed their participation and wondered if the whales really knew about it. Granny replied, “It was an opportunity to open minds a little further. People notice these things and it helps them to understand how conscious we are.”

As we continued our conversation, I asked Granny if when people think of her, or talk to her, whether she gets some energy from them. She responded, “Yes, there is a spark of energy that transfers to me when they think of me or send love. You should all realize that you are doing this every day. Think kindly toward one another. It really does make a physical difference.”

“Is that why you have lived so long,” I asked? “I believe it has something to do with it.”

Then I told Granny that a children’s book called Granny’s Clan came our recently and that in the near future, thousands of kids may be sending her their innocent laughter, love and light.  To this she replied, “Oh boy – I may live to 200!”