Friday, November 22, 2013

Facebook


November 22, 2013

Well, I’ve done it.  I just leapt into the 21st century and got a business facebook page. I said I’d never do it and once again I learned, “Never say never.”

I’m not very good with technology and when faced with learning facebook I just turned and ran. Wouldn’t even look at it. I rarely visit my personal page, I don’t remember posting on it, and I certainly have never looked for people to 'friend'. My gosh, I still have a DUMB phone and don’t even know how to text, so how could I ever negotiate social media?

I worried that facebook would take up a lot of time and that I would get sucked down a rabbit hole into a deep abyss. A little too dramatic? Maybe, but I’ve seen how much time email takes and adding something else seemed overwhelming.

But I did it anyway, and today I took a class in managing my facebook page. The instructors were at least 30 years younger than me and spoke a ‘foreign’ language. Glancing from the instructor to the screen and then the other instructor I felt like I was watching a ping pong game in the dark – it was confusing.

The best part of the day was a conversation I had with a wonderful woman sitting near me. She said that “People like us need to be on facebook, so that people who need us and our services can find us.” I realized that she’s right. It just might be a tool that will allow me to be of greater service to misunderstood animals, near and far.  I thanked her for this insight and decided to get an attitude adjustment.

I am trying to understand and make good use of this new tool. Please bear with me while I learn and make some mistakes. And if you are a facebook person, I would be very honored if you would LIKE my new page https://www.facebook.com/MaryJGetten. I’m also open to any tips or advice that you’ve gleaned from your facebook adventures. Thanks for listening.