Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Human Nature


October 16, 2013

This morning I headed out to the preserve on foot; ready to enjoy the cool morning air. It’s fall now and as the weather has changed, the number of people using the park has risen. I imagine that it will be quite crowded this winter after all the snowbirds arrive.

Eastern Ribbon snake
As I walked in silence, I first met a small Eastern Ribbon snake. He was quite delicate, only about a foot long, with a bluish green stripe down his side. I’d never seen one before and stopped for a few moments to observe.

Further along I met a man who was photographing a horseshoe crab. He was very excited to have seen a bald eagle up close, so I told him where a ranger often has a spotting scope set up to see the eagle’s nest on the other side of the park.

As I walked on, a woman came up behind me and asked me how long the trail was. I told her it was 3 miles around and takes about an hour. She walked on, but kept stopping to look at things, and even showed me my tree friends ‘the lovers,’ remarking how interestingly they entwine. S

he went ahead and I was distracted by a 4-foot long Rat snake (yellow with blackish stripes) that crossed my path. I motioned to an oncoming biker to slow down so he wouldn’t hit it.

Robinson landscape
At the next bridge I caught up to the woman again, who pointed out some large fish in the stream and a Yellow-crowned Night-heron in the bushes. We walked together talking about nature and how healing it is, and how much we both enjoyed the park. I was thinking about turning around and walking back through the mangroves instead of doing the loop, when she asked if I wanted to be alone and silent. I decided that it might be fun to talk to her for a while, so we continued on.

This woman lives just down the street from me and is originally from Croatia. She had breast cancer this year and is still recovering. I hadn’t noticed until she told me, that under her loose shirt she only had one breast. This was the first time she had walked around the loop since her surgery, chemo and radiation. She feels good. We agreed that being in nature is very healing and enjoying the clean fresh air here is a wonderful thing to do. She also talked about how grateful she is now for the small things and for each day; a wonderful reminder for me.

So my walking meditation wasn’t silent today, but I still got a message from the universe. I am grateful that I took the time to connect and communicate with another facet of nature today – humans.